Sunday, March 20, 2011

Small Victories

I ran the the Georgia Publix Half Marathon this morning.... 2:07:06... good for me... my best time. It was a great event, the course was pretty good, and the weather was perfect. I had more food at the end than any event I have ever prticipated in up to this point; however, my buddy hardly got any so I am not sure what happened. I think possibly too much food was being handed out. I got two of everything and even some things three. I said I didn't need it, but volunteers handed it out anyway. Good for me ... bad for those coming up later in the race, but something that can easily be fixed in the future.

 I am slowly plugging away at improving my time on the half marathon distance... a minute or two each time. While a piece of me wants to knock it out in big chunks to hit that 2:00 mark or under, I can live with small increments of improvement to get to my goal. Sometimes those small victories keep us going and not giving up. My goal will be to continue to be thankful for the small improvements and eventually I will chip away at that time... which becomes more important the better you get at running. I feel good and I am happy with the results knowing that next time I will want more!

I enjoyed being out this morning. The weather was perfect about 63 degrees and overcast, perfect for running. The course had enough flat sections that I was able to make up my time from the hills and some of the neighborhoods were beautiful that we ran through. There was a lot of support from the community cheering people on some for specific individuals and others for everybody that ran by. It was nice to see Atlanata out bright and early this morning. A lot of first time half marathon runners that I met waiting to start and afterwards that said they will do it again. Overall it was great, but the best part is always being with my buddies... going to the expo, talk of our goals, race preparation the night before, and the race morning jitters. In th end this makes it all worth while...

No comments:

Post a Comment