Thursday, January 20, 2011

Being a runner

When I started my way to trying to be healthy three years ago, my vision of healthy was a runner. I don't know why, but I always had wanted to be a runner. So, at 39 I signed up for a triathlon and figured what the heck, I'll do it or I'll die. The next six weeks were pure torture mostly seeing that I couldn't run at all and I had this triathlon thing hanging over my head. The six weeks passed and I completed the triathlon... walking/running to the finish line. I had thought if I could just get through the triathlon I would give up the dream of being a runner, but something triggered when I crossed that finish line that day. I am not sure what it was, but I stood there and watched hundreds of people cross after me and I was inspired. Some were old, some were young, some were skinny, and some not so skinny, and some with physical disabilities that had to make that day painful and I thought then...." I can be a runner."

The days, weeks, and months following that event I stuck to my plan and that was to run 3.1 miles without stopping... no walking. I didn't read a book or a magazine or even get advice from a runner, I just ran as long as I could working to increase the distance each time. Some days that worked and other days it failed miserably. I don't remember the exact day or the exact time, but I remember the run clearly. I reached the two mile mark which was at the bottom of a hill as I had reached this point a couple times before. My plan that day (just like the other days) was to keep going to the top of the hill without stopping. I figured that would make my distance 2.2 miles maybe, but the hill was a big thing, mentally now I realize. I had tried before to get to the top, but it didn't happen. Why was today different? Who knows? Certainly not me, but it was different.

As I approached the hill, I started pumping my self up saying "you got this, you can do it, don't stop now." The next thing I knew I was at the top, but I didn't stop, just a little further I thought and before I knew it I was rounding the lake. I felt almost giddy. I knew if I could get around the lake to the stop sign I would hit 3.1 miles. My energy perked up and so did my pace. I could see that stop sign and I knew I was going to make it and I did. My first victory to conquer was complete that day. The crowd roared in my head, my arms went up in the victory position and I shouted.. "YES!" I then quickly looked around to see if anyone may have noticed the nut screaming in the neighborhood, no.. good. The world was silent around me, no one noticed except maybe a dog or two whose ears perked up at my victory shout, no one cared, the world around me continued on, my victory went unnoticed.

But, it was in that moment, on that day, that I knew I could be a runner. It was that day  that I knew I could go further then I thought. It was that run that I realized that running was mental. The physical part you can overcome, the battle is in the head, but when you bust through it, you 've got it.

I run now at minimum three times a week. I 've completed 5ks, 10ks, half marathons, other triathlons, duathlons, trail races, biking races, endurance races and this year I will complete a marathon. I am sure of it. Don't underestimate the power and strength that is within you. If I can do it anyboday can ( I  was a smoker for 20 years and had only quit two months before that triathlon I mentioned at the begining). You can do it, just decide that you can and you will. It's that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment