Friday, January 21, 2011

Rest...

As you are wrapping up your third week into your new healthy living lifestyle, rest is critical. I have found that I need to build rest days into my exercise cycle to ensure that I stay injury free and I allow recovery time for my body. You will get tired and if you haven't built in a rest day it is critical to do it now. In the beginning, I felt like I couldn't miss a day and if I did it was failing. But in truth it is just part of a smart plan. Too much too fast is not good. Be Proactive instead of reactive.

If you over train and injury occurs then you are out anyway so be smart. My body tells me when I need rest and as you progress and work harder you have to learn to recognize the signals that your body is giving. This week after several days of working out twice and the other days working out once, my body said I'm tired so today I rested. It hit me...."hey that's biblical." Even God rested on the seventh day so why should I be any different. It is clear to me that in a seven day cycle I need to fit in a day of rest, for me I usually rest in the middle of the seven days, a Wednesday, and then start back to finish the week strong.

There is no exact recipe for being health, but you definitely need to make sure that you include rest in the recipe for healthy living. There are times when it may take more than one day due to stress or over training pay attention and don't push it. Remember the goal is healthy in 2011, not healthy in 3 weeks. Patience as you progress forward will allow you to build up to your expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment