Sunday, April 24, 2011

Music helps you hit the mark!

When I run music helps get me pumped especially if I am doing  a longer run (45 minutes or more). Sometimes it is the beat that pumps me up and gets me moving. My running buddies say they can always tell when a song comes on that I like because I pick up thee pace and run faster. Sometimes it's just a fun song and sometimes there is a catch phrase that stands out in the song that sticks in my mind and helps me get through a tough period. I tend to go to certain songs on my ipod when I am dragging or if I hit a hill that I need to push my self like " Push it" by Salt and Pepa. My running buddies really get a kick out of me singing and panting "push it" up the hill, but hey it works for me. AND... almost 90% of the time as I am nearing the finish line in a race or finish point during a weekly run, I play one particular song to get me across that line quicker.... "Boogie Shoes" by KC and the Sunshine Band. Don't ask me why, but it is probably my all time favorite song. I have lots of favorites, but this is number one for me.



As new songs come out and motivate me I make a new playlist to change things up. I usually start with a slower song and gradually progress up in the beat to get me moving and stay moving until the finish.  The thing about music is you get to singing and before you know it the run is over. So when you are making a playlist it needs to be those great sing- a- long songs so that you don't pay attention to time or pain and before you know it you are through.

My new playlist that has got me moving includes the following songs:

45 minute run for this playlist.

Rolling With the Deep- Adele
DJ got us Falling in Love- Usher
Born This Way- Lady Gaga
Tonight I 'm Loving you- Julio Eglesias/ Ludacris
The Time (Dirty Bit) Black Eyed Peas
Hey Baby- Pitbull
Forget You- Cee Lo Green
Misery- Maroon 5
More- Usher
Hold It Against Me- Britney Spears
Just Can't Get Enough- Black Eyed Peas

But, I always have the old stand by of songs (the 80's -90's collection ) tells my age , oh well...

70 minute Run (5 warm-up, 60 run, 5 cool down)

Start Me Up- The Rolling Stones
Take Me Home Tonight- Eddie Money
Talking In Your Sleep- The Romantics
Push It- Salt-n-Pepa
Fame- David Bowie
Harden My Heart- Quarter Flash
I Feel for you- Chaka Khan
Loverboy- Billy Ocean
Rebel Yell- Billy Idol
What you Need - INXS
Another one Bites the Dust- Queen
Anyway You Want It- Journey
Bad Case of Loving You- Robert Palmer
Don't Do Me Like That- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight- Cutting Crew
Obsession- Animotion
One Thing Leads to Another- The Fixx
Renegade- Styx

Remember running is mental, if you can get your mind off what you are doing, music helps do this, you will hit your mark. In the end, you had fun singing along to great songs and running (all those endorphins) it helps relieve stress. It is a great way to clear your head and start fresh. Create a playlist of go to songs and have it handy and saved in a playlist on your ipod for your next run or walk.

Until next time.... put on your " boogie shoes" and hit the road running!



1 comment: