Sunday, April 17, 2011

River Float Relaxation

This weekend started our spring break a much needed rest for children and adults alike. I spent my first Sunday floating down the Flint in my new kayak... a great start  for me. Actually, I have only been down the river in a canoe at a much younger age, but the kid in me bought a kayak and at the first invite I jumped on it.
Victor and Kay Perdue invited me to tag a long with them and some other buddies, Mike and Misty Chapman and Scott and Polly Chapman. I have known the Chapman brothers all of my adult so I was game to be the third wheel just to get an opportunity to try my hand at my new kayak. I noticed immediately that the river was high and seemed to be moving fairly rapidly. As we prepared to launch, I must admit I was a little nervous, but with my cooler strapped on and two layers of clothes ( it was cold at 10:30am, 52 degrees ), I launched  off into my new adventure following the lead of the girls. Knowing men like all women do, I made the right choice. Kay, Misty, and Polly were great guides and kept me laughing the whole day. It wasn't long before the sun was shining down and layers of clothes were having to be peeled off (turned out to be in the 70s and gorgeous). We couldn't have ask for a better day.


I was right about the water. It was moving pretty good and basically all I had to do was guide the kayak. With a few quick lesson from Scott and Polly, I was on my way. It wasn't long until we came to our first adventure.... tree across the river, probably from all the storms we have had lately. The guys plunged ahead to scope it out and make way for the girls.  We allowed them to be first as we didn't want them to feel unmanly. They did well and found a small opening for everyone to squeeze through, I did OK, but I was certain I would be the one to get snagged and hung in a tree as I went last. Everyone cheered me on and I made it through uneventful, thank goodness!

It was  nice to chat and float with the girls and just relax, nothing but the sunshine and great conversation. I think there was some mention of  Dr. Hekyll and Mr. Jive, but I am not sure. Soon the guys were pulling in at a  huge rock for lunch break. We had everything from fried chicken to barbecue chicken wings to chicken salad. It was awesome to sit on the rocks and sun like a fat lizard. It doesn't get any better than good friends, cold chicken, and cold beverages. I have to say the cold apple cider was pretty awesome.

After a nice sit on the rock, we decided it was time to move on and see what was ahead. With coolers strapped back on and a lot of cold beverages in tow we hit the water again following the guys. We chatted  and let the guys move ahead fishing as we floated and sunbathed for our new summer tans. We stopped along the way to take some pictures of the girls and the great scenery enjoying each others company. We didn't have a care in the world. I laughed and said "I wonder how long it will take the guys to notice we are not behind them?" The girls unanimously agreed that they would not notice, but they were wrong. The hero of the day being..... Scott who came back to find Polly and the girls to see what mischief we had gotten caught in.



We talked about all the things moms talk about... kids, school, husbands, and crazy people. It made for a most enjoyable day.  Mike and Kay made mentioned that the "baby kayaker"  (which was me) might need to take a swim. I quickly paddled away from Mike as I knew he would do it. He was nice and didn't make me flip over as the water was about 50 degrees. The guys even talked about swinging from the rope that has probably been there for years, but one hand in the water was enough to make everyone say maybe next time. I was glad for this as I knew I would have heart failure if I hit that icy cold water. We stopped for one more pit stop to eat a snack and watch Mike play with some toys he brought along, you know how guys are about their toys. Anyway, we laughed, got the crap scared out of us, and sweated profusely but had a blast. We ended the day with the guys helping an older couple get their river boat (if you can imagine this) out of the river so the day ended with a good deed for all. In the end, I am glad I went. I hung out with old friends I haven't seen in a while and made some new friends all in days river float. I think I will have to do it again! The girls were awesome.... may have to do a girls only trip. I think we could handle it just fine.

Until next time or as Kay Perdue would put it "Peace Out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment