Monday, April 11, 2011

Did I just say that?

Its funny, but I have friends and fitness friends. I have my two best buddies in the world and then I have my group at the gym. It's weird. I spend close to two hours every night with them and its funny how quickly you get very close knit. The conversation is somewhat hilarious at points of pain and stress. You say and do the darnedest things. In fact my words have come back to haunt me on more than one occasion. I can remember telling Kat one night as she was struggling through a workout, "you only have three left, you can do anything three times."  Boy, did I later regret saying that. I have been reminded on more than one occasion as I lay immersed in my own drool and sweat..."Come on Lindy , you can do anything three times." Be careful what you say .. right?

Then of course there are the major differences between what men say and do and what women say and do. Men certainly don't hold back in their words with women present and the women try to ignore the crassness of it all as if they don't hear it. It cracks me up sometimes. Everybody is straining and working hard and all of a sudden an odor wafts across the room. While women work diligently to ignore it and move on, it is only a few short minutes before a man stakes claim to it proud of the fact that their exertion has been displayed. The women are way embarrassed, but nonetheless they keep coming back. I am certain its not the smell that brings them back though.

Of course there is much conversation that you just wonder how you get there and I can only say that under duress you are unable to filter your thoughts or your mouth.  Example. One night in the midst of a workout, as I thought I was surely going to die once again (not unusual to have the near death experience where you see the light on several occasions during a one week period). I lay in the floor trying to push out as many burpees as possible. As everything in me was fading to black and I was moving toward the light, I thought if I just lay still and give myself 5 seconds of rest I can do more. As I laid my head on the floor, and began to try and enjoy these fleeting seconds, my brain quickly jumped to Jesse's butt. Not what you are thinking so get your mind out of the gutter. At that moment, I realized that just 20 minutes earlier my buddy Jesse had sweated his butt off doing sit ups and now here I lay in the midst of butt sweat with not even an ounce of strength to remove my face from it. I eventually moved back into my burpees, but Jesse was on my mind each time I went to the mat. Later when I was through the workout, I saw Jesse and said, " Hey, I thought about you tonight as I wallered in your butt sweat." It didn't quite come out like I had hoped. Jess seemed a little surprised and the others just turned and looked wondering if I had just released some very confidential information. What do you say in a moment like this? Nothing much, you just move on and go with it. The filter just shuts off.

These crazy moments keep you laughing and coming back for more. Not a night passes when something isn't said where we look at each other and say "did you just say that."

No comments:

Post a Comment