Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Trying New Things

I want to encourage you to try new things. Doing the same type of exercise daily is not necessary and it can get boring. I like routine in my day-to-day life, but in exercise I do best with variety. It seems for me that if there is a portion of exercising I don't like, I come to dread it and eventually will quit so I trick myself. I do some many different things that by the time I get back around to it I don't recall if there was something I disliked. Weird.. I know. The other great thing about variety is that the muscles never know what to expect and therefore they are usually working hard all the time to help burn fat. When muscles get use to a certain types of exercise, it will take less energy to perform and puts no strain on the muscle which in turn has very little benefit so change it up.

There is so much available to consumers in the area of home dvds and even in types of classes at gyms... group step and power, kickboxing, zumba, yoga, crossfit, spin classes and much much more... it is amazing what is available for variety. Don't limit yourself. Try to incorporate some cardio, strength, and flexibility type activities into your schedule. One other suggestion that has been better to me is to work on a 14 or 21 day exercise cycle. Most people work on a 7 day cycle which limits your options. What do I mean? Well most people do the same thing each day of the week start over the next week with the exact same exercises. Why? I don't know... maybe people think there is some unwritten rule that you have to do this, but that is wrong. Instead of starting over, continue on with various exercises and start over after 14 days. I like a 21 a day cycle too. Try it. It really make a difference in the burn out factor. Remember you can borrow other friend's dvds to increase your  workout cycle and try new things like hiking, biking, skating, and swimming. You can take it outdoors. Don't let walls box you in.

I am trying crossfit right now and tennis. I still incorporate running three days a week and work this other stuff in for variety. Crossfit is a little hard core, but you can check it out on line at http://www.crossfit.com/
The workout of the day is posted everyday and you can do it at home, inside or outside. If there is an exercise that you are not sure about there are videos available for you to watch for demonstrations.

An example of cross fit is the workout we did tonight. It included: 400 meter run, 10 deadlifts (135lbs for a lady), 20 push ups, 30 kettleball swings (20 lbs for me), 40 butterfly sit ups, 50 jumping pullups, (if you can't do a regular pullup and I can not), 60 wall balls, and 50 double unders (jump rope) or 200 single jump rope ( I did the singles because I can't do a double under). It took me 22 minutes 37 seconds of pure torture, but it was over and done and this was my strength training session. Its never the same thing and I like that. If I had to go back tomorrow night and do this same work out, I can assure you I would say I was sick and miss it!

Anyway the key is to find what works for you and have fun doing it. It's even better with a friend! Get creative and get moving, spice it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment