Sunday, July 26, 2015

You never know what works until you try.

I am training for my third marathon. When I actually stop to think about it, I am surprised. My first marathon was a bucket list kind of thing. I signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon in Washington DC mainly because it was the "people's marathon," as identified by Runner's World Magazine. I figured, "Hey I am only doing this once so make it a great memory!"  I did. It was awesome. A friend and I did it together a few years back when the hurricane hit Washington DC. We ran the marathon, then ran back to the hotel and then ran to the airport to try and get out before the hurricane hit. Probably got in 35 miles that day. Everybody else did the same thing too! Got stuck in DC, but that's another story for another time just suffice it to know we made it back.

Fast forward a year and my best friend says to me, "I think I wanna do a marathon," Really? Well all right so we trained on the Jeff Galloway Plan, the run/walk method for newbies. Five minute run, one minute walk... it worked. I stuck with her knowing that she would struggle with the mind thing starting around mile 15. I was right she did, but she crossed the finish line, got the medal, drank a beer and swore she would kill me if I ever let her do something that insane again. I walked away thinking well, I never have to do that again. But still there was something there saying maybe though, but I mostly ignored it.

Fast forward six months. I need something to train for I am bored. How about another marathon? Really? It wasn't that hard to talk myself into it, but I didn't want to do the same plan again. Both times prior had been Galloway.. great plan, great guy... I met him years back when I first started running. So I started to look at the various plans and analyze how they were different. Galloway and many others do several mini runs, three maybe four during the week, and long runs on the weekend. Basically distance remains the same during week with several days off, but long runs progressively get longer over three weeks time then it drops back and gives you a rest. Then you're back on long runs progressing back up for three weeks gradually getting you up to 22-24 miles on a long run weekend... preparing you for the dreaded "wall." Depending on the plan and your level some incorporate speed, tempo, interval running and maybe hills.

I continued to look . I came across the Hanson Method. Actually, a co-worker mentioned it and I looked it up. Now here is a whole different approach. The idea behind this method is that you increase your total weekly miles throughout the training, not just on weekends, so that you fatigue the muscles and have to learn to run on tired legs... like you do in a marathon.  The longest run being 16 miles. The Hanson Method incorporates speed, strength, tempo, long and easy runs building miles from 21 miles in the first weeks up to 57 miles a few weeks out from the marathon. So I went for it. Not sure how this will work, but you never know till you try it so here I am in week 6 of training. The marathon is the end of October.

My long run yesterday and today was 8 miles each day giving me a total of 31 miles running this week. Today was the day where my legs felt really tired, but I pushed through and I was only 3 minutes and 30 seconds off my "normal" time. Not too bad considering my legs  felt so tired running, Everything else was good. I worry about the "wall" because I know it's real and I will still have 10 miles to go after mile 16... make that 10.2 miles. Well, I am trusting the plan and I guess I will find out how it works and let you know, but right now I am excited, on track with training and ready to go! Registered and ready:)


No comments:

Post a Comment