Friday, July 31, 2015

Rest, Run, Restore

It has been one of those weeks. In preparation for 1400 high school students returning (now just three days away) we have worked literally from sun up till the late, late night hours. Tired and exhausted, my running and sanity have gone out the window. After a week of mostly 12-15 hour days, I wonder if it is all worth it. I know it is better for the students when they return and things are right, but I really have missed running, not to mention my eating habits have been off. I have eaten whatever I could scrounge up during those late nights  and crazy days and most of what I was eating was not healthy. I feel like a slug.


(As you can see, my counselors and crew needed and deserved a small treat, Hot Fudge Sundaes. I had one too:)



Lethargy and swelling set in thanks to all the sitting and working on a computer (eating ice cream too) just made me feel yuck. It reminded me again of why consistent exercise and healthy eating are critical for a fit mind and a fit body. I am not sure why or even how people have jobs that don't allow them to get up and move, but it also explains why so many people are in the condition they are physically and mentally. I could not sit behind a desk all day. My job keeps me moving and on the go all of the time. I easily get 10,000 steps most days before I run or exercise (love my fitbit) and after my run or exercise I am usually hitting 20,000 steps most days of the week. When I don't eat right and run, the impact on how I look and feel is detrimental.

Weeks like this happen. I have missed two of my scheduled running days because I couldn't get out of the bed early enough to conquer the running before work or I was too far gone in the evening to even attempt a run. So I have nine miles to make up in my running schedule to hit my weekly mileage. I probably won't get those nine made up, but I will get some extra in and guess what I can live with it if I don't get them all. I don't want to get injured so I will add in what I can or feel like I can on Saturday, but only if I feel good. My training plan got off, but it's okay. I had to prioritize... kids first always! Now I do what I can, get back on track and move on. Water under the bridge.

I am actually looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow (Saturday morning) past 4:30 am and then getting up to go for a nice long, slow run and let all the stuff in me drain out... the toxins, the exhaustion, the brain clutter, the tension, the stress, the yuck!

 The rest and the run will restore me.

Just some more photos of my school buddies...

Principal Pals...  My best friend Laura, Principal of a middle school in the gray shirt and  me in the white shirt. We take a photo every year at the beginning of the school year. We started together as teachers in the same year, 19 years ago:) She texted me at about 9:00 pm one night this week and all the text said was..."Go Home!" I ask her the next day how she knew I was still at work? She just laughed and said "I know you!"

This is my friend and one of my four Assistant Principals. She has been with me for three years,. She is my "Partner in Crime." We are starting to complete each others sentences, dress alike and know what the other is thinking without saying a word. She works hard everyday for all kids and she makes me look good as a Principal. I love all my Assistant Principals, but we are known as "C&C"  thanks to my BFF for naming us this, which is a whole different story within itself.:) Notice I have bags under my eyes and she is beautiful. I am old and she is young... long hours don't affect her like they do me! That's all I have to say about that!



A crazy week, but I am forever grateful for a great group of people that do what needs to be done for kids. It is still a joy to go to work everyday. I love what I do and I love the people I work with  each day.



No comments:

Post a Comment