Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Work Hard Play Hard



With the completion of the Crossfit Games for 2015, I am still hooked on Crossfit! I started Crossfit five years ago and  I am still doing it. Even when there have been moments that I backed off for whatever reason, time, life, kids, work, it was never  for very long. There is no fitness program around like Crossfit... Never a dull moment, always a new twist on something familiar and the completely unexpected are all the things that make Crossfit intriguing. I guess the other appeal for folks is that once people try it they realize that Crossfit really is for everyone regardless of age, capabilities, injuries or limitations. They only thing stopping people from doing Crossfit is their mind. Believing that they can't do it (fixed mindset) when the reality is they can with help from a coach (growth mindset).

There is always negative talk about injuries from Crossfit, but the people that get hurt 99% of the time are the over zealous, pumped up folks who don't listen to their coach. I am a level 1 trainer for Crossfit and one of the most difficult things for many is to take it slow in the beginning, let it be a progression in improving. Let your coach move you up gradually. Listen. It's hard not to get overly enthusiastic when you give it a whirl because it is contagious. It gets on you and you can't shake it. It's everything about Crossfit... the program, the results, the culture, the competitiveness, the inspiration, the motivation.... it's just different.

Watching the games this year was even better than before for several reasons: the athletes are getting better, stronger and they added the teenage group. I work with high school kids all day and I loved watching these kids excel at the sport of Crossfit.  I was inspired. It was awesome. Then of course watching the Masters division is always one of my favorites as I am a "Master" now. It happens to us all eventually:)

I am reminded once again of what aging can be based on my choices. I am not saying Crossfit is for anybody, but some sort of daily exercise should be for everyone. People don't have to be old at the age of 50 or even 60. Age is a mindset and no matter your age you should work hard and play hard that is the "Fountain of Youth" that makes the difference in the quality of life we lead as time marches forward.

Not all of us are Crossfit game worthy and using common sense is critical in Crossfit. Many of the athletes that make it to the Games have been some type of competitive athlete most of their lives.  I am not. I am just a middle aged gal trying to keep it real... so I do what I can to push myself to be better than I was, to enjoy the spirit of the sport and  engage with the people and culture in it. Crossfit can be for everyone! It is the only sport that spans the generations... you don't see a 60 year old playing football or baseball or soccer. But, Crossfit is different and I believe it is here to stay. I want to encourage other people to do something for themselves and try Crossfit... you won't regret it.
You may not compete at the Games, but I bet you end up better off than you were before you tried it and end up hooked too.


No comments:

Post a Comment