Saturday, February 19, 2011

Go the Distance!

If you are into running or just started.... going the distance is awesome. I am pretty certain that the half marathon has become my favorite race distance. Today I (along with my best buddy) ran my 6th half marathon in Snellville..."Run the Reagan." I think that it has become my favorite race distance because it is a feasible distance for anyone even beginning runners, but it challenges even the most seasoned runner.



Today as I ran I really just enjoyed watching the people the whole way. This was an out and back race so you run about 6.5 miles out, turn around and head the 6.5 miles back to the finish line. The great thing about this type of race is that you get to see the seasoned, fast runners that are leading the race which is awesome and inspiring. It is unbelievable the pace they can keep for 13.1 miles. The other part of course is that you are actually on the course long enough to notice the other participants which for me is pretty cool. I love seeing people of all shapes and sizes push the limits and knockout the stereotypes about what a runner looks like. You see it all from running to walking. There are no rules except to cross the finish line. It seems to have more to do with will power than how you look which tells me that if you put your mind to it anybody can do it. I have also learned to never under estimate someone based on how they look... they will leave you in their dust.

I usually look for someone that is setting a pace just a touch faster than mine and work to keep them in sight. Then I crank up the old ipod and start people watching. The thing about doing this is that it takes your mind off the course... the hills, the distance and it goes by quicker than you think. This is a great mental strategy for me as my mind can quickly convince me that I can't do something or that I am hurting so I have learned to find things to distract my mind and this works for me.

The other thing is how much you can improve each time you do this. I have improved about 27 minutes from my first half marathon and I am not fatigued afterwards. I remember the first time I ran one I came home and slept on and off most of the day. Now, I can actually come home get a shower and have a normal day out and about without feeling like I have stressed my body. This tells me that my endurance and stamina have improved as well.

So I want to encourage everyone to consider the half marathon; you can do it. AND.... everybody that finishes gets a medal which is just another enticing little tidbit to get you thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment