Friday, February 11, 2011

To supplement or not to supplement?

People ask me all the time if I take supplements and the answer is yes. Is it necessary? I am no doctor or expert in anything, but I think if you ate like you were supposed to it might not be necessary. Since I am certain that I don't eat correctly 100% of the time, I choose to supplement with vitamins. Can you get crazy with it? Like anything else of course you can. I think it is critical if you choose to supplement with vitamins that you stay away from synthetic vitamins and take raw or natural vitamins that the body can break down and digest quickly.

I think one of the most important supplements to consider and if I had to choose one it is an omega three vitamin as it has multiple benefits. The omega six and nine are probably not necessary if you eat meat, but if you don't you might check into it. I take probiotics to ensure that I keep enough good bacteria in the intestinal track, a co enzyme 10 for the heart, and Ester c (better known as vitamin c), because my grandmother has made me do this since I was ten years old and I am not changing now. I do take a liquid organic multi vitamin that contains a little of everything including aloe vera and amino acids and just recently I added juice plus to ensure I get all my veggies and fruits in for the day. Last but not least, I take Glucosamine/Chrondritin to help with my joints because I run. The omega threes are also great for lubrication if you are a runner.

I feel great and I feel like I am on track, but I think it varies for individuals to what they may need. I certainly don't think you can go wrong with a good multi vitamin or something like the juice plus to help add your veggies and fruits in for the day. If you are considering adding something specific to your daily intake of supplements do some research about it (the good  and the bad) and make a decision. If you choose to add something in the end, add a high quality form no matter what and stay away from the cheaper synthetic brands that your body can not digest much less benefit from.

No comments:

Post a Comment